Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Memories of a Gambian Child

Heavy rain beating on the rooftop to the rhythm of drums
Children crawl into a fetal position under the covers

Back into Mummy’s tummy they return, safe and sound
Sleeping tight and dreaming pleasantly as the thunder roar

Outside seeds germinate and flowers freely grow and spread wild
Butterflies evolve…egg, caterpillar, cocoon, imago…ready to pollinate

The sun’s rays accentuate the beauty of their mesmerizing colors
They fly from flower to flower-gathering nectar, colors change before your eyes

Waves hitting the shoreline, shaping and designing the coastline
An architect employed by nature with infinite talent

Fishermen set sail in the middle of the night guided only by the moon
Women anxiously waiting on the beaches as fishermen return with the sun

Feather soft and milk white sand massage the soles of their feet
Relieving the load as they set to journey home and feed families

Palm trees in line waiting for marching orders
In colorful postcards they end up traveling the world over

Entering at Fatoto the river tirelessly runs to empty into the Atlantic
Washing away boats carrying cargo to destinations along the way

Majestic birds singing melodious songs of freedom on treetops
Too majestic for Queen Elizabeth to compete, tiara, broche, gloves and all

Bird watchers mesmerized by their vibrant colors and glorious sounds
With the naked eye, ears, and binoculars they come equipped and ready

Unlucky Pigeons answer to the holy calling of my slingshot
Not too filling but tasty enough and worth the trouble

Playing outside a profession I cherished and perfected
Meet me at the park for a soccer challenge win or lose

The aroma of Grandma’s Churaa gerrteh a feast for my sense of smell
As I turn the corner for the final stretch to retire for the evening

Oh how I miss the stories I never understood as a curious child
They molded me into shape, gave me eternal memories, and guided me

Press rewind, I want to watch my childhood over and over again
Please don’t destroy the reel; classic movies are always the best!

1 comment:

  1. Remember: Playing "TICH_TACH"... on the concrete cement pathway that lead to the restroom. HAHA

    ReplyDelete